Log book / Journal de bord, épisode 2
Hello! How are you? Sit down, Lorenzo. – Coffee?
– No, thanks. I’ve been thinking about it all night:
Mozart didn’t finish theRequiem.Süssmayr, his pupil,
completed most of it. So what was precisely Süssmayr’s role?
Did he just copy the work? The main reason why
he was asked to work on it was because his writing
was very similar to Mozart’s, which could help
sell the piece once finished. He completed the orchestration
for some of the passages. Mozart dictated most of it to him, and left many instructions for two of his friends: Eybler and Freystadler. – Freystadler?
– Eybler and Freystadler. They sang long passages together when Mozart was confined to bed. So they just had to copy it. Do you want to conduct? Well… – I’d like to.
– Go on then. Do you want to try? Okay then. Go on. So what’s the difference
between the right hand and the left hand? The right hand indicates the beat patterns, and the left hand indicates phrasing, sometimes cueing some entrances, although the right hand can do that too. It emphasizes expression, strength… There can be variations… – When the volume decreases.
– Exactly. Go on, do theDies Irae. Raise your hand a bit. Put passion into it! – We’ll start.
– Okay. Laurence? Lorenzo, I’m getting changed right now. I was wondering: did Mozart really cry when he sang theLacrymosa? Yes. Some of his singer friends
came to sing at his bedside
when he was sick. So yes, Mozart started crying. He knew he wouldn’t be able to conclude his work. And on the partition… I have the facsimile. I have the manuscript. – That’s Mozart’s writing.
– I see… He only wrote the first 8 bars
of theLacrymosa. – The last ones he ever wrote.
– Apparently. It’s always very moving after the 8th bar
because it’s meant to be the last bar he wrote in his life. Right… The beauty of it is that it’s the sequence called “Tear”. Those are the last ones. The last bars that Mozart wrote. Of theLacrymosa. From here to here. It ends here. It’s very moving to see this. As he is writing theRequiem, his wife is about to give birth
to their 6th child. He was probably terrified to lose another child
after all these bereavements. Did he lose a lot of children? Yes. He lost four. Including a little Teresa
who was six months old, You can hear all the pain
in theLacrymosa, the sobs… It’s a death lullaby. It’s intense suffering. Nothing can heal the loss of a child. Too high.